Lunch For Festival
December 29, 2018 Main Course 0 Comments
Lunch For Festival!
- Mutton Biryani
- Onion raita
- Boiled eggs
- Biryani brinjal.
MUTTON BIRYANI RECIPE
(for 1 kg mutton)
Serves 8-10 people
Prepare biriyani masala (store in airtight container) and ginger garlic paste a day before making biriyani to make work simple.
Biryani powder ingredients : (dry roast and grind)
- 7 cardamom
- 8 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Biryani ingredients :
- Mutton (marinated with turmeric and salt for 2 hrs) – 1kg
- Basmati rice (washed and soaked for 30 min) – 5 cups
- Ghee – 4 tblspn
- Oil – 4 tblspn
- Bay leaves – 4
- Cinnamon stick – small piece
- cardamom- 6
- cloves – 6
- big onions – 5
- tomatoes – 4
- green chillies -4
- ginger garlic paste – 4 + 1 tblspn
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Chilly powder -to taste
- Curd – 4-5 tblspn
- Coriander leaves – 2 handful
- Mint leaves – a handful
- Lemon juice – half of a lemon
- Salt to taste
- Water – 1.5 cups for mutton + 7.5 cups for rice (7.5 cups include water we used for cooking mutton)
Method of Preparation
- Pressure cook for 8-10 whistles (mutton +1.5 cups water + salt + a tblspn ginger garlic paste)
- In a separate cooker saute in low flame till u get nice aroma.
(ghee + oil + bay leaves + cardamom + cloves + cinnamon )
- Saute till soft in medium flame (onions + salt)
- Add remaining ginger garlic paste and saute in low flame.
- Once done add (coriander pwdr + chilly pwdr+ biriyani pwdr)
- When raw smell goes off add (coriander + mint leaves + tomatoes) mix well and close the lid till tomatoes turn soft. In-between open lid and mix it well. Do not open often since biryani’s aroma gets spoiled.
- Add curd and mutton, mix well. Let it cook for 4-5 mins.
- Add rice mix well.
- Add water. Total amount of water should be 7.5 cups (mutton soup + ordinary water). 1.5 cups water for a cup of rice.
- Add lemon juice.
- Check for salt. Water should be little salty.
- Close the lid without whistle in medium to high flame for about 5 mins.
- Once 75% water is absorbed, level it and close the lid , add cooker weight and bring to very low flame (We r not going to wait for whistle).
- After 15 mins , switch off the flame. Do not open and wait for 15 more mins.
- Open and mix well then serve.
BIRYANI BRINJAL GRAVY
Masala paste ingredients : (dry roast and grind adding water)
- Peanuts – 1.5 tblspn
- Fennel seeds – 1.5 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1.5 tsp
- Sesame seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Other Ingredients :
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Onion large -3 sliced very thin
- Ginger garlic paste – 2tsp
- Tomato -2 pureed
- Brinjal – 7 small sliced thin
- Oil – 4 tblspn
- Coriander powder – 1.5 tsp
- Chilly powder – as needed
- Salt – as needed
- Curry leaves – 10
- Tamarind extract – 2 small gooseberry sized soaked in a cup of water
- Lemon juice – if reqd to adjust taste
- Tastes good if we use gingelly oil. Though I used cooking oil it tasted same.
- Brinjals should cook and mash well, so slice it very thin as possible.
- Lemon juice is not mandatory. If u want it to be sour then use it to adjust taste.
Method of Preparation:
- In a pan heat oil, add brinjals and cook til they are soft. Once done, remove and keep aside.
- In same pan, add (oil + mustard seeds + urad dal)
- Add and saute till raw smell goes (onions +salt + ginger garlic paste + chilly powder + coriander powder + masala paste )
- Add curry leaves, tomato puree and cooked brinjals. Cook till tomato is done.
- Add tamarind water and wait till u get it in paste form. Mix in between.
- Finally add salt and some lemon juice if required.
Chef: Monica John